Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Thing 18

The Web 2.0 Awards was a fun site. I would not have any idea about most of these sites. I spent quite a few hours exploring and will continue to look further. I was already aware of Zillow. It is a site that looks up through satellite images, the property value of homes all over the United
States. I can't really think of any reason to use this site in the library, but it was fun for me personally to play around. Another site I enjoyed personally was Real Travel.I love travel and related sites, so reading the travel blogs was fun for me. The site is a great way to hear first-hand experiences from travelers all over the world. It might add a personal touch to a student's report about a foreign city or country, but I'm not sure I would advise them to the site. The site would surely be blocked by district filters and I would not want to advise them to check it at home since some of the content might be questionable. One other site that was new to me that I liked was Boxxet. It is a mashup site much like Ning. Boxxet (pronounced "box set") is great for locating video, images, podcasts, news, etc. about pop culture. People from all over contribute so there is a wide range of items available. Movies, TV, music, sports, fashion, education, etc. are all tags for Boxxet. I found a large collection of items for Seinfeld for example and quite a few for the Cowboys. I think it is an easy to use, fun site to locate items to enhance blogs, social sites, etc. If I am looking for images associated with pop culture, I will look to Boxxet.

No comments: