Saturday, January 19, 2008

Thing 14

Library 2.0 means a big shift in my comfort level. For some reason technology has always fascinated and scared me at the same time. I am afraid to try new things because I don't want to cause a problem that can't be fixed. Through these exercises I have had to learn to release most of those fears. There really isn't anything that can't be undone or fixed. As a new librian, I can see so many more areas involved in the profession than I realized. Technology is a huge part of my resposibilities to patrons. Web 2.0 has shown that I need to embrace technology and constantly search for ways to implement it to meet patron's needs. In Web 2.0, Tom Storey talked about an "open, programmable web." I like the idea that I don't have to be the one to provide it all-the new Library 2.0 is based on a give and take, collaborative process. As my mind set has been changing, I am seeing more ways to implement Web 2.0in the school library setting.

I can see some potential problems along the way. If I have had to change my way of thinking about the library and what it stands for, I am sure there will be bumps along the way with changing teacher's, parent's and administrator's views. I think the best way to overcome that is to be proavtive in using and creating excitement for the tools of Web 2.0. I am certain in the school setting, getting the kids involved will not be an obstacle. I really appreciated Rick Anderson's statement in Away from 'Icebergs", "it can be equally disastrous when a profession fails to acknowledge and adapt to radical, fundamental change in the marketplace it serves." Web 2.0, and Library 2.0 cannot be ignored if if we are trying to meet the needs of our students and our world.

No comments: